An experienced Project Manager / Certified Scrum Master with a track record of leading digital projects. Strengths include: demonstrating to management the benefits of Agile methodologies, thereby enabling them to monitor progress of deliverables, identify project issues and efficiencies; analysing strategic roadmaps to identify opportunities and risks, and ensure business needs are realised and supported; utilising Agile methodologies to lead technical and design teams through the product and software development lifecycle; and utilising business processes for organisational change and governance.
See all case studies
At the Telegraph many delivery teams had different awareness of agile practices. I needed to determine areas where agile practices needed improving, and support them in their transition. Actions included facilitating and improving scrum ceremonies; running team health-checks; improving the delivery lifecycle such as identifying cross-team bottlenecks; mentoring individuals; adoption of SAFe in the department. As a result teams had the freedom to improve, thus enabling them to meet tough delivery objectives. Leadership team recognised and supported the benefits of further agile adoption.
The Financial Times was creating a content API service. Coordination and understanding between product leadership and delivery teams had room for improvement, resulting in some delays and frustration. As Scrum Master, facilitated and drove the adoption of Behaviour Driven Development (BDD). Actions included running business specification workshops; separating ‘specification by example’ from technical planning; adjusting Kanban processes and running retrospectives. Succeeded in reducing ambiguity & miscommunication, and released the correct functionality in a controlled development cycle.
BBC was behind schedule on delivering a CMS to enable journalists to author new content for a new online product. As Senior Project Manager, brought project back on track. Liaised with stakeholders to evaluate project status and set new priorities; co-created technical delivery plan and training programme; introduced Scrum methodology and Jira task tracking tool to oversee system build; and played key role in system deployment. Succeeded in completing project within 3 months, allowing journalists to publish new content and further product development.
AKQA is a key partner for Nike, which had a global marketing platform and wanted to use a CMS to manage products and their global marketing. As Senior Project Manager, modified existing CMS to meet global requirements for Nike teams, campaigns and products. Reviewed and re-vamped internal requirement gathering processes; developed project plan and solution; utilised Scrum throughout project to optimise delivery; and played role in supporting release teams during global product release. Succeeded in modifying CMS, which improved product launch efficiency.
MTV Networks wanted to roll out Agile methodologies to better prioritise development and rebuild trust between stakeholders and delivery team. As Project Manager, established methodologies and project portfolio. Reviewed operations, defined requirements and created plan to prioritise and mitigate issues; trained delivery team on Scrum process; established technical and business processes; and led execution of and support for various projects. Succeeded in introducing agile approach, which improved project efficiency and strengthened trust between technical teams and stakeholders.
Telegraph Media Group – Scrum Master (contract)
February 2015 to present
Financial Times – Scrum Master (contract)
April 2013 to January 2015
- Utilised agile methodologies, led a number of business initiatives across a wide spectrum of the organisation, including
- Coordination of key disciplines to improve the main CMS, including front-end FT.com improvements
- Creation of a revenue-generating content API service
- Implementation of FT Technology’s strategy to create a rapid speed-to-market, self-service delivery platform for all internal developers
- Managed more than six teams, encompassing developers, integration engineers, business analysts, product owners, technical architects and third party suppliers across many global territories.
- Reported to the Programme Leads and Head of Delivery
- Succeed in increasing visibility of project issues, reduced rework & costs. Promoted common understanding and direction through the adoptions of techniques such as BDD, DevOps, Kanban, Scrum and an MVP approach to product development.
BBC – Senior Project Manager (contract)
March 2012 to April 2013
- Hired to lead the design, development and delivery of several projects to fulfil key product areas for the organisation’s Knowledge & Learning online division.
- Contributed to conceiving, shaping and delivering several popular BBC online services.
- Led a team of 5 Developers, 2 Business Analysts, 1 Product Manager and 2 Designers, along with indirectly managing the 3-member CPS configuration team. Reported to Delivery Manager.
- Directed the development and rollout of a content production system for journalistic output.
- Led the prototype design and development of a key part of the department’s product ambitions. Team encompassed 2 Developers, 5 Designers, 1 Business Analyst, 1 Product Owner and 1 Technical Architect.
- Steered users to key BBC product areas by heading the integration of BBC News with BBC Knowledge and Learning online services.
AKQA – Senior Project Manager (contract)
September 2011 to March 2012
AKQA is a digital marketing WPP-owned company specialising in creating digital services, products, communications and experiences.
- Led a cross-disciplined technical team to ensure resources, skills and solutions met Nike’s business ambitions.
- KPIs focused on: project delivery completion and efficiency, in addition to customer and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Led a team of 3 Software Engineers, 5 Developers, a Technical Lead, an Information Architect, 2 User Experience Designers and 2 Testers; collaborated with multi-national clients and 3rd-party technical teams to build solutions.
- Controlled a £1.2m budget and reported to the Program Manager.
- Orchestrated and managed a programme of work that included supporting new and existing campaigns and product launches, including the Nike FuelBand global launch.
- Integrated the delivery team with several global development teams (San Fran, Portland, Guadalajara, India, UK) while liaising with client stakeholders and a 3rd-party digital agency.
BBC – Technical Project Manager (contract)
December 2010 to September 2011
- Hired to take responsibility for a key component of the organisation’s user participation strategy, which included managing technical delivery as well as conceptualisation, definition, development, release and maintenance of the Things to Do product.
- Managed a 7-member team of 3rd-party Web Developers and Software Engineers, along with a 3rd-party Visual Designer and a Tester.
- KPIs focused on: project delivery and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Worked on tendering external agencies as Scrum Master and reported to the Head of Delivery.
- Determined why the Things to Do project was failing by conducting gap analysis, reviewing data, analysing priorities, filling product requirements, developing new project plan and performing bi-weekly project analysis. Brought project back on track and delivered new product.
MTV Networks – Agile Development Project Manager (permanent)
April 2010 to December 2010
- Managed a portfolio of projects across several international territories.
- Ensured that projects were correctly prioritised and resourced as well as met strategic demands; projects included the development and launch of MTV UK’s mobile payment video-on-demand service.
- Managed a team that included 5 Developers and 4 Designers, in addition to a core group of Subject Matter Experts.
- KPIs focused on: improving project prioritisation and optimisation, Scrum implementation results and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Realised major improvements to project effectiveness, delivery and understanding through introducing Scrum methodologies to the digital media and management teams.
- June 2007 to April 2010: BBC – Technical Project Manager and Certified Scrum Master (permanent)
- July 2001 to June 2007: BBC – Senior Web Developer (permanent)
- January 2000 to July 2001: Xceed Inc – Web Developer (permanent)
Key Qualifications and Training
- Leading SAFe (Scaling Agile Framework): agile8
- Behaviour Driven Development workshop lead by Gojko Adzic (author of Specification by Example)
- Certified Scrum Master: Agile Bear
- BBC Leadership Training Programme: Ashridge Business School
- Introduction to Product Management: BBC Academy
- Coaching in Team Building, Negotiation and Effective Communication
- Identifying and Confirming User Requirements: The Learning Tree
- BSc in Biology: University of Sussex
Dean is a dedicated and meticulous Technical Lead with great agile experience, applied with confidence and rigour.
Dean joined the project as Scrum Master at a tricky time during the build but he quickly got a handle on the technical priorities and complexities of the project and worked very hard to ensure the team organised themselves to deliver clean code throughout.
The BBC’s loss it MTV’s gain!
James Webb, BBC Senior Product Owner, 2010
Further recommendations: uk.linkedin.com/in/deanlatchana